Fairmount Park Council for Historic Sites

Homepage

Tours

Attend An Event

Book An Event

House Finder

About Us

Contact Us

Links

Site Index

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After the death of Judge Richard Peters, The Belmont Estate was transformed by commercial development such as railroads, stone quarries, oil refining and a country resort for private parties. The property became part of Fairmount Park in 1869 as part of a program to preserve the quality of water.

 

 

 

 

 

 

In anticipation of the Philadelphia Centennial Exposition in 1876, a large dining pavilion was built alongside Belmont Mansion. The site continued to be used for public entertaining until it became an historic house museum under the management of the American Women's Heritage Society in 1986.

1 | 2 | 3 | << BACK